Full-Stack Developer (Part-Time, Contract, Remote)
CivImpact Labs® is always seeking talented and dedicated engineering professionals who have a passion for working on sophisticated solutions to some of the biggest social and economic challenges that face our communities and our world. We want individuals who are skilled and creative technically, but who also are nice people, can flex with changing work demands and are great team collaborators.
We have a small team and are currently searching for contract full-stack engineers who are interested in developing innovative and extraordinarily valuable news, social and communications web applications. You must be fully proficient in and have extensive experience developing complex web applications using Python/Django and React.
If you embody these qualities and are interested in a part-time opportunity doing purpose-driven work with our startup team, we encourage you to apply.
We’re currently looking for someone who can contribute to some or all of the following tasks:
- Converting basic HTML and SCSS into React components
- Integrating third-party webRTC capabilities, including audio and video
- Optimizing to reduce load on clients’ browsers and internet connections
- Implementing front-end unit tests
- Implementing internal-use REST or GraphQL APIs
- Integrating with third-party services to manage state
- Implementing a chat moderator’s tool set
- Implementing task queue processing logic
- Implementing back-end unit tests
- Implementing application load tests
Desired Skills and Experience
- CPaaS integration
- Pusher (or other realtime communication library)
- Celery/Django Q (or other task queue)
- GitHub Actions
- Work collaboratively with the strategy/product lead, other engineers, and designers. Contribute proposed ideas and engage with other team members to deliberate on alternatives. Carefully listen to other views and absorb the knowledge of others.
- Communicate clearly and fully with other team members to advocate for your perspective and clarify your understanding of others’ perspectives. Be open to feedback and comfortable following the decisions made by team leaders even if it is not your first preference.
- Understand the needs and challenges of working within a small startup venture. Be able to tolerate ambiguity and willing to change direction or timeline as requested.
- Be able to manage your own workload independently and with limited direction, and reliably and quickly complete tasks within required timeframes.
- Be available for a part-time contract averaging 20-30 hours per week for up to 3 months duration – with the possibility of converting to a larger and/or ongoing role.
- Be able to work remotely via audio or video conference during normal business hours in the Pacific time zone, and use online collaboration tools such as Notion and Slack.
To be considered, please submit the following to recruiting AT civimpact.com:
- Portfolio and/or GitHub URLs showcasing your work with different kinds of projects and different applications of varying complexity. Clearly indicate if each item in the portfolio is your own individual creation or a joint creation (and describe the nature of your individual contribution if a joint creation).
- Describe the relevant languages, frameworks and other tools you use for development, and your level of proficiency with each.
- Describe your education or training in engineering-related disciplines.
- Describe your work experience in software development.
- Describe the reasons for your interest in this opportunity.
CivImpact Labs® seeks a diverse pool of qualified candidates and encourages interest from people of color, women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ applicants.