UI/Interaction Designer (Part-Time, Contract, Remote)
CivImpact Labs® seeks talented design professionals who have a passion for figuring out solutions to tough problems arising out of how human interaction has been transformed in the virtual world — seeking to preserve its best qualities, while discouraging the worst. Our team does that by developing innovative and extraordinarily valuable news, social and communication web applications.
We are currently searching for contract visual or UI designers who are driven to deliver a high-quality and extraordinarily rewarding experience for the users of our digital products. We value individuals who are skilled and creative technically, but who also are nice people, can flex with changing work demands and are great team collaborators.
If you embody these qualities and are searching for a part-time opportunity doing purpose-driven work over the next several months, we invite you to apply.
Your Role and Required Skills
- Generate alternative concepts and visual design ideas for user interfaces, flows and interactions based on guidance and feedback from the product lead and other team members.
- Be able to invent ingenious approaches as well as apply established best practices to craft a super easy-to-use, intuitive user experience that is entertaining as well as informative.
- Be detail-oriented to deliver high-quality work products. Rapidly create wireframes, mockups or low-fidelity prototypes to share with the team or for user testing. Produce visual assets for production as needed. Proficiency with Figma, Adobe XD or Sketch is a plus.
- Be proficient with common front-end web technologies. A high degree of proficiency with HTML/CSS and responsive web frameworks for mobile devices is desired.
- Have some familiarity with and consider accessibility and other usability standards in making design choices. Familiarity and experience with usability testing tools and procedures is a big plus.
- Work collaboratively with the strategy/product lead, other designers, and software engineers. Contribute proposed ideas and engage with other team members to deliberate on alternatives. Carefully listen to other views, clarify your understanding of others’ perspectives and absorb their knowledge. Communicate clearly and fully with other team members to articulate and advocate for your perspective.
- Be open to feedback and comfortable enthusiastically implementing decisions made by the team or strategy/product lead after discussion, even if they do not reflect your own first preference.
- Understand the needs and challenges of working within a small startup venture. Be able to tolerate ambiguity and willing to change direction or timeline as requested.
- Be able to manage your own workload independently and with limited direction, and reliably complete tasks within agreed-upon and required timeframes.
- Be available for a part-time contract of up to 6 months duration – with the possibility of converting to a larger ongoing role.
- Be able to collaborate remotely via audio or video conference during normal business hours in the Pacific time zone, and comfortable with using online collaboration tools such as Notion and Slack.
Compensation, Schedule and Location
- Hourly contract rate fully commensurate with your skill and experience level.
- Number of contracted hours and regularity of schedule can be negotiated to fit your requirements and availability.
- You determine your work location and can perform your work completely remotely. However, there will be opportunities to participate in optional in-person meetings if you are in the San Francisco Bay Area.
To be considered, please send the following to recruiting AT civimpact.com:
- Portfolio showcasing examples of your work with different kinds of projects, different approaches and/or creating different kinds of design artifacts and assets. Please indicate if each item in the portfolio is your own individual creation or a joint creation (and the nature of your individual contribution if a joint creation).
- Briefly describe the software and tools you typically use for design and/or development, and your level of proficiency with each.
- Briefly describe your education or any training in design-related disciplines.
- Describe your work experience in design, including the types of clients/employers you’ve worked with and your role with them.
- Describe the reasons for your interest in this opportunity.
CivImpact Labs® seeks a diverse pool of qualified candidates and encourages interest from people of color, women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ applicants.